What a fun and brilliant movie. The Bad Guys is an absolute treat with a smart story that keeps the adults and kids alike entertained. I love the animation style. A unique mix of computer animation, VFX, and 2D animation, it’s a visual treat.
While the story, at first glance, appears like a Despicable Me story, it’s far from it. The main characters have embraced the cards that storybooks have dealt them. To be villains. However, as Wolf finds out, maybe he can be a good guy until things go awry with his crew.
The movie plays out like a 70s heist movie in look and feel. It has a wonderful voice cast that just enhances how fun this movie is.
Presented in HDR-10 this movie looks GREAT. There is nothing to complain about here. The colours are vibrant, details are sharp, and bright and dark scenes look great.
If you’ve been debating between 4K or Blu-ray, you’ll want the 4K as it is above and beyond the Blu-ray which looks flat and lacks detail in comparison.
Universal Studios Home Entertainment included a killer Dolby Atmos track here (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 compatible). It’s a well-balanced and expertly mixed track. Instead of going for loud, they use the space so well with objects moving around the surrounds, and the heights are extremely active and sounds dynamic to my ears.
The LFE is powerful and thunderous when needed. If you want to show off your system with littles around this might be the perfect one to do so.
Universal included some decent extras here.
- Audio Commentary – The commentary doesn’t feature any voice actors, but is extremely informative with Director Pierre Perifel, Producer Damon Ross, Writer Nelson Yokota, Character Animator JP Sans, and Production Designer Luc Desmarchelier discussing the style, books, and how the movie was assembled.
- Maraschino Ruby – A short “heist” featuring characters from the movies.
- From The Drawing Room – “How to’s” for drawing some of the characters and scenes from the film.
- Snake’s Frozen Pop Shop – If you wanted some frozen pops, visit this extra feature on how to make some.
- It’s Showtime: Cast Table Read – A short featurette looking at the virtual table read.
- Assemble the Crew – The voice cast breaks down what they brought to the role.
- Devise The Plan: Making The Bad Guys – Cast and crew discuss the books, 70s style, and more in this short featurette.
- Deleted Scenes – You know what this is.
Conclusions and Final Thoughts
This is a solid 4K disc. The audio and video are top-notch and only serve to enhance the movie. The extras are solid and I loved listening to the commentary. This is a must-own for any fan of film and animation.